PARISH CLERK: Sara Archer, 204 Monkton St, Monkton, Ramsgate, Kent CT12 4JN
Tel:01843 821989 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monkton Parish Council
Minutes of the meeting held on 14 November 2011 at 6.30pm at Monkton Village Hall.
Present Parish Councillors John Way (Chairman) [JW], Nick Cole (Vice Chairman) [NC], Gilly Brown [GB], Graham Constable [GC], Tony Davies [TD]
In Attendance Sara Archer (Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer) [SA]. Cllr Hibberd- KCC,
PC Kim Burgess
Any representations from members of the pubic were made before the meeting was opened.
A member of public expressed concern regarding residential CCTV cameras and a subsequent incident which was placed on the YouTube website. The concerns were noted and the issue would be addressed under item 5 of the Agenda.
47/11-12 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
48/11-12 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
49/11-12 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
A physical set of minutes were not present at the Meeting, however all Councillors had sight of them prior to the Meeting and found them to be correct. The minutes will be signed at the next meeting. Action: SA
50/11-12 FGSAGRI GRITTING CONTRACT
The contract had previously been discussed and agreed, however, confirmation of the call out procedure was necessary before being signed and returned to the gritting company. It was agreed that two Councillors would take the responsibility of deciding when the company should be called in prolonged adverse weather conditions. The Clerk would be informed of such decisions in order that a record can be kept and a maximum limit of 10 calls should be made. Action All Cllrs/SA
51/11-12 CHAIRMANS REPORT
At this point Cllr Hibberd updated the Meeting on issues which had been raised both Nationally and Locally within Government.
a) Cllr Way confirmed that the grant funding for £1000 to be spent on the redecoration of the Men’s Institute had been agreed. The application deadline for the second grant of £3000 had been extended and thus the confirmation of the grant being awarded would therefore be delayed, however it is expected that a decision would be received by the end of the month.
b) PC Kim Burgess had been invited to the meeting to address concerns regarding a residential CCTV camera which was felt to be inappropriately situated. PC Burgess confirmed that any person is entitled to install up to a maximum of 16 security cameras on their residential property for the purposes of protection and as such the camera in question was not breaching any laws and was not subject to the Data Protection Act 1998. Persons concerned about the site of the CCTV cameras were advised to contact the Local Authority Planning Committee or Police to investigate the problem. If any cameras were felt to be in breach of the Human Rights Act, the same applies. A letter of response to that received from the Manager of Monkton Under 5’s Playgroup regarding this issue would be comprised advising of the above. Action SA
This item was followed by a presentation from Ros Facey of Monkton Nature Reserve. The presentation was informative and the Parish Council agreed to write a letter of support to assist with their strategic plan for the Big Lottery Bid to enable improvements to be made within the Reserve. Action SA
52/11-12 FINANCIAL MATTERS
a) Receipts and Payments were agreed. Cheques signed as appropriate.
b)The hire charge for the Village Hall for Parish Council Meetings was discussed. Cllrs agreed that a letter should be sent to Terry Marsh, Chair of the Village Hall Management Committee confirming they do not agree to pay a hire fee, as the Village Hall have been in receipt of a number of grants provided by the Council and it is a legal requirement for the meetings to be held. Concern was also expressed regarding the use of the Village Hall for dog training, an area where food is regularly prepared and served to members of the public together with complaints regarding dogs continually barking late at night when left in cars outside of the Village Hall. Cllr Davies agreed to raise the above issues at the next Village Hall Committee Meeting. Action SA/TD
c) Discussion took place regarding the Christmas Lights competition. It was proposed to continue with the competition as it remains well received by the Villagers and Cllr Cole offered to donate a Scalextric set to the Playgroup to raffle for funds towards their Christmas Party.
d) It was agreed that the Parish Council would donate £100 towards the cost of the Christmas Tree for the Village and confirmed that the position of the tree would be re-sited outside the Village Hall.
e) A donation of £364 towards the cost of the production of mugs for the Silver Jubilee celebrations had been received. After discussion it was agreed that the Parish Council would agree a maximum sum to fund payment for the mugs. The Silver Jubilee Committee would be advised of this decision. Action SA
53/11-12 CLERKS REPORT
The Clerks report had been circulated and read prior to the meeting.
Item 5 of the report was discussed and it was agreed to respond to the correspondence received from Mark Seed, Environmental Services Manager, regarding the lease of the Recreation Ground due to the contradiction of his letter to that received from Brian White previously. Action GB
Item 9 of the report regarding the Fingerpost sign was discussed. It was agreed that rather than a new sign being purchased, the old sign should remain and be appropriately repaired. It was confirmed that a local welder Derek Smith had agreed to provide a quote for the repairs to be carried out. Cllr Constable would contact Derek and obtain the estimate. Action GC
54/11-12 COUNCILLORS REPORTS
– Cllr Way confirmed he had attended the Thanet Area Committee meeting at which it was advised that there would no longer be a dedicated Village Police Officer. This was confirmed by PC Burgess at the beginning of the Parish Council Meeting. PC Burgess also confirmed that a new contact number to report non-emergencies to local Police was being implemented and the number to dial in future would be 101. The Superintendant Mark Nottage had been invited to the next TAC meeting to discuss any issues this situation may raise.
– The next Parish Forum meeting would be held in April 2012. It would be decided nearer the time who would be representing Monkton at the meeting.
– The planning list was discussed and the application for the change of use of land at Walters Hall Farm for a Solar Park was raised. It was agreed that although the Parish Council had no objection to the application, the issue of visibility under Policy CC1 of the Thanet Local Plan was raised as a concern and the planning department would be advised. Action SA
– Cllr Cole informed the meeting that KIACC are in the process of making an application to extend their current flight plan to allow them to operate all night. Members of the public opposed to this proposal were urged to respond to the application when the consultation period is initiated.
– Cllr Brown advised that Monkton School recently had an Ofsted inspection with excellent feedback. The School however had expressed concern at the recent Government Education Bill which proposes that Schools are merged to become Academies which would see less successful Schools combine with those with a higher level of performance. As Monkton School is small it would be likely that it would be advised to combine with other schools, a proposal which the School strongly objects to and other avenues are being explored to hopefully improve the outcome.
– Cllr Brown confirmed that there still had not been a response to the Fields in Trust Application. A further letter would be sent seeking confirmation of the application. Action SA
– Cllr Davies advised that he would be completing a dilapidation survey on the Recreation Ground in due course and would report his findings at the next meeting.
– Cllr Constable confirmed he had inspected the repairs carried out at the Recreation Ground which appeared reasonable. However, as a grant had been accepted in order for resurfacing works to be carried out, it was felt that Sean Cox, the Secretary for MYFC should be contacted to discuss resurfacing the entrance to the playing field further. Action GC
55/11-12 DATE/TIME OF THE NEXT MEETING
The next meeting would be held on 16th January 2012 at 6:30pm in the Village Hall.
A representative from the Village Hall Committee would be invited to attend the meeting in order for future dates to be set.
The meeting closed at approximately 21:00hrs.